Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Happy Return and Beauty Products!

I admit it. I have been that absentee blogger. The "I have so many other things to do," and puts the blog on the back burner. Well...no more! I'm back and I'm staying. I'll be posting on here regularly, at LEAST once every week. Neglecting this blog has saddened me over the last few months. I've been concerned about my novel, about writing short stories for possible contests, about reading more often, that I haven't been able to write, simply for the sake of enjoyable writing. This blog is like a cool bubble bath after hours of running in the hot sun. I've been running in the hot sun without a nice break for months.

Today I would like to talk about two new "skin care products" that I've come across in the last few months. One, actually a prescribed medication, is more than just a skin care product, hence the quotations. The second is a skin care product, called Serious Serum, that is supposed to be amazing (yet I have not experienced such "amazing" results as of yet).

Accutane, as mostly everybody knows it as, is a prescribed medication used to eliminate acne after all other less "serious" products and medications do not work. I have been on Accutane (but the generic versions) for four months and it has truly changed my appearance and my self-esteem. Since my junior year in college I had acne and every year the pimples persisted, becoming worse as time went on. When I lost weight, they tended to disappear, but the second I gained the weight back, the acne returned. After trying to lose weight again, the acne never budged, deciding for whatever reason, that my face be cursed with the nasty white, and painful, bumps all over my skin. I was hesitant at first to try Accutane, primarily because of the extreme side effects, especially the possibility of emotional changes and depression. But the acne on my face got so bad that I decided to take the jump and go for it. I cannot explain how happy I am to have taken the medication. The first two months were pretty awful in terms of acne, because I had an awful flare up as the Accutane attempted to purge the pimples. But since the third month I have been pretty clear and the scarring is fading away as well (although slowly). I have no before and after pictures, because I deleted all the "before" pictures- I just don't like keeping photos of myself that aren't flattering at all. But I do want to make clear that I have almost none of the side effects warned about. The most extensive side effect that I've had to deal with is the ache in my shoulders every now and then, but that is probably due to my newly found dedication to working out. I feel great and I think people should really look further into Accutane prior to freaking out about the side effects.

Now on to Serious Serum. I discovered this product on Pinterest and many people were raving about it. It is known as an "AHA Ingrown Hair Eliminator and Skin Exfoliant." Many woman that get waxed have found it to be really useful against red bump irritation and those nasty ingrown hairs that return. I looked up where the product was available and ordered it from a store in NYC, Apothecarie, which is actually the only store in all of New York State (that I found) to sell Serious Serum online. A one ounce bottle cost me between $35-$38. After a few weeks, I have seen the red bumps on my thighs and ingrown hairs ease up and become infrequent. But, I haven't been using it as consistently as I should, which is my fault. I have been using the serum on my face every night before bed and haven't seen that much of a difference. I'm not sure how well the "skin exfoliant" side of the product actually works. It may just be that the Accutane shows more difference on my face than the serum. But I'm still hopeful. The bottle may only be one ounce, but it can last a long time. The liquid it not thick at all and a little really goes a longggg way. One tiny drop, smaller than the tip of my pinkie finger can be spread on at least half my face.

So, if you're having skin issues, whether it be extreme acne, ingrown hairs or just want to lessen the redness of your skin and have a nice feeling exfoliant, I suggest you to look into these two products. I would say, although I don't think the Serious Serum has been particularly AMAZING as of yet, it is still definitely worth the money. The link to Apothecarie is below and definitely check out the product reviews on Pinterest!

 Apothecarie Store

No comments:

Post a Comment